Monday, April 16, 2018

W6/SC-387 Condon Peak

Condon Peak is one of the high peaks in the BLM's Clear Creek area in southern San Benito County. I drove down on one of my off Fridays to hike up to the summit. On the way down, a bobcat ran across the road in front of my car. Very cool. At the Condon Peak Campground, I paid my entry fee and drove up the hill to the day use lot at the top. There is enough space here for a few cars. Walking through the gate across the road I started my hike.
Looking back at the parking area and gate.
The first half mile or so are on a wide dirt road that looks like it may be open to cars and OHVs. I left the road where there was a steep trail heading off to the left, and the road began to head downhill. There is a post here forbidding motorized travel, with some indications that it is an official trail, but I don't think it has been maintained recently.
Onto the steep section.
This trail climbs up the ridge, following a barbed wire fence that marks the border between San Benito and Fresno Counties. It is a steep climb in places, with loose dirt making the footing even more difficult. After gaining around 1000 feet, the trail peters out. This middle section was the most difficult. Initially I found good routes around the dense brush staying on the Fresno side of the fence, but eventually I had to start crossing back and forth.
Taking a breather on the way up.
Maybe someone will bring a pair of wire cutters and make the hike easier for everyone. Eventually I made it to the ridge and the going got better. After climbing over a small bump, the trail descends to another dirt road that runs along the ridge top. There were great views from here to San Benito Mountain and Santa Rita Peak, as well as to the Santa Lucia range to the west. I could see Junipero Serra Peak as well as the Sierra.
The first view of Condon Peak.
 The road doesn't go over the summit, but from the high point there is a use trail that climbs the last few feet. I found the register and added my name. It was quite windy, and chilly in the wind, so I descended a few feet to setup in some bushes on the east side of the peak.
San Benito Mountain on the left, Santa Rita is the pointy one on the right.
I was surprised to have good cell service on the summit. I sent out a spot and quickly worked a half dozen people on 30. Twenty meters got a few more contacts. I tried VHF, since I had line of sight to the southern part of the central valley, but only got one response on 70cm.
Lots of these types of formations along the crest of the ridge.
Having successfully activated the peak I packed up and retraced my steps. I was able to avoid all the dense areas again on the way down without having to backtrack much. It was great finding the trail again, even if it was very steep to descend. Back on the main road I quickly got back to the car. Since it was still early, I decided to stop and activate Black Mountain on my way home.

Trailhead: Condon Peak Campground.
Website: SOTA SiteClear Creek Management Area
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Follow ridge (San Benito-Fresno County line) to the summit.
Red Tape: None. The hike is outside of the asbestos area, so no extra permit needed.
A mine below the summit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment