Tuesday, May 22, 2018

W7N/CK-058

This remote peak is in the north part of the Red Rock Canyon Conservation Area, and was a nice hike up. Since I don't have a high clearance, 4 wheel drive car, I parked at the start of the dirt road leading to the peak. On Google maps this is the start of Harris Springs Road. It was easy to find, about 7 miles from US 95. From here I followed the road down to the large wash.
Looking back at the steep road down into the wash. That slope would be difficult to drive.
In the wash it was easy to follow the path to where it exits the other side, in a narrow canyon. The USGS maps have the road marked as a jeep trail. Here the road starts a long, gentle ascent to where it reaches a primitive campground, which had some fire pits. There is another steep drop, and the road turns to the left and crosses another wash at the base of the mountain.
One of the fire rings. The peak is the point on the right.
After crossing this second wash, the bushwhacking begins. The slope up from here is a steep class 2 climb, with a few small cliffs. The cliffs are small enough to climb up, or just go around them. It is an unrelenting and steep climb up to the point marked 5842 on the quad. After this point, the slope mellows out, and it is a more pleasant walk.
A short distance up, looking back at the canyon I hiked in on.
It was overcast as I was hiking up, with a nice breeze. I could see rain on some of the higher peaks, but it didn't rain on me while I was out. Once I got up to the summit ridge I turned right and followed it up to the peak.

The peak is getting closer.
I was surprised to find a register in a cairn at the summit, so I signed it. I was only the third or fourth person to climb the peak, since the register was left. The were great views in all directions, with relatively steep drop offs, good for the antenna. I set up, and got on 30 meters. There was a good cell signal on the summit, so I was able to spot myself. I only got one contact there, and was starting to get worried. However, when I moved up to 20 I quickly got a small pileup and enough contacts to get the points for the peak.
Looking down to Las Vegas.
I was able to make one more contact on 40 before I tried VHF. Here I stared on 440, and had a quick QSO with someone walking in a park with his HT. I also got one simplex contact on 2 meters, despite the idiotic repeater on the frequency. As I was calling to see if there was anyone else on VHF, I noticed some rain clouds were getting closer. I decided to pack up and head down. It could have been a treacherous descent if it had been raining.
Waiting for someone to answer my CQ.
 The descent took about the same amount of time as the ascent, because of the steep slope. I made it back to the primitive campsite without getting stuck at the top of a cliff. From here it was an easy walk along the road back to my car.  Somehow I managed to avoid getting rained on at all, which was nice.

Trailhead: Parking area at Harris Springs Road an NV 157. If you have high clearance and four wheel drive, you can drive into the primitive campsite.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the road down to the wash, then out the other side up the canyon. At the campsite, go down to the wash, the follow the ridge up to the summit.
Red Tape: None.
Panorama to the north.

No comments:

Post a Comment