Monday, April 1, 2019

W6/SC-224 Peak 2577

After climbing Junipero Serra Peak I came over to get this one. This peak is on BLM land (probably part of Williams Hill) between the towns of Lockwood and San Lucas. The trailhead is on the aptly named Lockwood San Lucas Road, shortly before the height of land, if you are heading north. There is the road and a small marker "W15". I nearly drove by it.
Trailhead.
If you have some clearance and 4WD, you could easily drive to the top. I don't, so I parked in the large pullout across the street and walked. Maps show the road goes straight up the ridge, but there are actually a few big switchbacks, easy to see in the satellite view of the area. Since it is graded for vehicles, I made good time up.
Getting close to the ridge.
It is about 1.8 miles to the top. After the climb up to the ridge, the road levels out and climbs gently for the second half up to the summit. There were some deer on the way up, enjoying the late afternoon grazing.
All the poppies in bloom.
There is a fence running parallel to the road at the top, which I used to hold up my antenna. There was great cell service, and nice views of the Salinas Valley and Fort Hunter Liggett area.
North and South Chalone in Pinnacles NP.
I had no trouble getting my contacts on HF. I called for a few minutes on VHF, but no one answered. The sun was starting to set, so I didn't stay as long as I could have. The hike back was quick, and I was soon on my way back up the Salinas Valley.
The south end of Fort Hunter Liggett.
Trailhead: Road W15 off of Lockwood San Lucas Road.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the Road up to the top.
Red Tape: None.
My parking spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment