Saturday, November 12, 2022

W6/CT-169 Bee Benchmark


 This peak is in the hills near Bouquet Canyon Road. I parked at the Bouquet Crossing trailhead, which has some parking on both sides of the road. I then took forest road 6N19 up the hill.

Parking area.

This road seems fairly well graded, but it would probably be too rough for a regular sedan. If you had a bit more clearance though, you could probably drive up to the ridge without much issue. Since I had a sedan, I walked.

Heading up the road.

Eventually, you'll reach an intersection on the ridge. Turn right here. There are two decent paths, either will work. One sidehills around the little bumps, the other goes over them all. This area seemed to be a favorite place for dirt bikes and ATVs, and I saw some bikers while I was out.

Better views, so I must be getting close.

This road runs along the ridge, but doesn't go over the summit. At some point you'll see a well defined motorcycle trail that runs directly up the hill to the top. This is what you want to take. I thought I might have to bushwhack to it, but there were some easy paths over to it. This track is much steeper than the climb to the ridge, so be prepared. After a left turn, you're almost at the top.

Ready to go!

I signed the register, then set up off the side of the road. The cell service was somewhat marginal, but enough I was able to spot without too much issue. I thought I might get some people on 2m, but I only got one summit to summit contact. Since I had to get back to the airport I didn't linger too long on top. 

I took the same route back down, where I changed and drove the rest of the way through Bouquet Canyon to Santa Clarita and the airport.


Trailhead: Bouquet Crossing, Bouquet Canyon Road.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route:  Take road 6N19 to the ridge, then turn right. Follow one of the paths until you see the motorcycle trail to the summit, then follow that.
Red Tape: None. 
Video: ham_bitious YouTube

 

No comments:

Post a Comment