Monday, October 24, 2022

W6/SC-347


 After activating Ladyface I drove a few miles down the road to the Phantom Trailhead on Mulholland Highway. There is a good size parking area on the opposite side of the road here. I didn't notice the trailhead at first, and parked at the far end of the pullout. There was at least one other trailhead here, so I imagine the area can get busy on nice days. 

Start of the trail.

The trail is obviously well maintained, and the beginning is a few switchbacks to get up to the ridge. There were lots of footprints and bike tracks in the dirt, so it must get a lot of use. Compared to the steep climb up Ladyface I had just done, this trail seemed super easy. 
Flat, brushy area on top.

It is just under a mile to the summit, all easy hiking. On top I found a small clearing in the brush, and decided to sit there. I set up the antenna, sticking the pole in a bush, and was on the air. This summit had great cell service. The highlight of this activation was getting two Japanese stations on 20m. One of them was very weak, but I was able to pull him out enough to complete the contact.
Late afternoon in the Santa Monica Mountains.

It was getting late in the afternoon, and as the sun started to get low, the light became excellent. It was simply beautiful in the mountains. I could've spent hours enjoying the view, but I still had some driving to do, so I packed up and retraced my steps. 
Another view of the mountains.

I didn't pass anyone on this trail, to my surprise. Back at the car I took a few more pictures before heading up to the desert.

Trailhead: Google Maps calls it the Phantom Trailhead, on Mulholland Highway.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route:  Follow the trail to the summit. Easy hike.
Red Tape: None. 
Video: hamBitious YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment