Wednesday, July 12, 2023

W7I/BC-083 Hoodoo Peak

 After activating Thorn Creek Butte, I headed over to Rabbit Creek Summit. This involved driving on some pretty narrow dirt roads. I was a bit apprehensive about the drive, but it turns out the roads were in decent condition. I mostly took roads 333 to 315. The SUV I had didn't have problems, but I wouldn't have wanted to be in a sedan or other low clearance car.

Nice views on the hike.

There was plenty of parking space at the col; there was even a family camping there. On the inside of the road bend a trail climbs up the steep embankment then heads up the ridge. This is obviously frequently used by motorcycles, but I didn't see any other people when I was out. It was a pleasant walk along the ridge, mostly in the shady forest. 
There are a few false summits you have to go around before you get to the high point. I was faked out by the first one and went a little out of my way. There is not much remarkable about this summit.
Looking back at Thorn Creek Butte.

I set up and got on the air. There was cell service. The bands were not in good shape, and I struggled to get my four contacts. Luckily I got five, then packed up. I feared the drive back to ID21 would be a long struggle like the drive up to Thorn Creek Butte, and it was getting to be dinner time. I was wrong. Road 327 was a joy to drive, smooth and wide. Soon I was back at the pavement for the drive back to Boise.

Trailhead: Rabbit Creek Summit, FS road 327
Website: SOTA Site.
Route: Take the bike trail along the ridge to the summit.
Red Tape: None.  
Video: Coming Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment