Monday, May 22, 2017

W6/CT-005 Throop Peak

This was my second peak of the day, between Mt Baden-Powell and Mt Lewis. This mountain is named after Amos Throop who founded CalTech. I walked over from Baden-Powell, retracing my steps along the ridge. The hike was uneventful, although I did pass a thru hiker, which was surprising. Usually they are hiking machines. A little past the junction with the Dawson Saddle trail, leave the PCT and follow the use trail up to the summit. It is faint in places, but easy to follow.
Looking back at Mt Baden-Powell.
The summit is mostly covered by low, scrubby plants, but there are bare areas to setup in. I assembled my antenna and was on the air. My CQs on 20 meters were quickly answered, and I quickly worked six chasers. There was still time, and my batteries still had power, so I decided to pack up and attempt another peak. The hike back to Dawson Saddle was quick. The snow fields I had crossed on the way up were much softer, but I was still able to safely cross.
Enjoying the sun.

Trailhead: Dawson Saddle, Angeles Crest Highway.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: KB1KXL SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Follow the trail that runs up the spur to the junction with the PCT. Turn left, northbound on the PCT and follow the trail a few hundred yards. There was a small cairn where the PCT contoured around the peak and a use trail headed for the summit. Follow this use trail up the ridge to the summit.
Red Tape: None.
A ladybug enjoying some CW with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment