Tuesday, May 23, 2017

W6/CT-246 Mt Lewis

Mt Lewis was the final peak of the day, after Mt Baden-Powell and Throop Peak. It is on the other side of the highway from the other two, but the trailhead is at Dawson Saddle. There is a faint use trail that leaves from the corner of the building. There is a quick switchback, then it climbs up the side of the ridge. It is fairly steep but short climb.
Mt Lewis summit.
The top is a large, flat, open area. There are some views through the trees, which would make great antenna supports. This would also be a nice summit to spend the night at. I found a flat area and set up. The ground was softer than usual because of all the pine needles blanketing the ground. Like the two previous peaks, there was no cell coverage. My CQs on 20 resulted in only one QSO, so I figured it was late enough in the day to give 40 a try. I got three more here. I was no longer in a rush, so I called on 30 meters for a few minutes and was rewarded with a number of stations, enough to qualify the peak again. All of the contacts on this peak make me think that my difficulty earlier was because many chasers were still at work, and by the late afternoon or evening they had returned home.
A beautiful summit.
The sun was getting low, and I was getting hungry, so I decided to pack up at this point and return to civilization for some food. The hike down was quick, and the drive down CA 2 was pleasant. I kept an eye out for thru hikers, in case one needed a ride into Wrightwood.


Trailhead: Dawson Saddle, Angeles Crest Highway.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: KB1KXL SOTA Hikes map.
Route: From the corner of the building in the saddle, follow the faint trail up to the summit. It generally stays on the east side of the ridge. There may be a trail on the ridge, but I did not explore.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment