Monday, January 15, 2018

W6/NC-399 Coyote Peak

This was my second time up to Coyote Peak. I took the same route up as last time. However, at the top, I setup on the other summit, just to the east. I got the idea after watching KE6MT's video report, when he mentioned trying to set up farther east to help with propagation.
Interesting rock on the way up. Looks like it eroded after a storm.
The east peak is a few feet lower, but still in the activation zone. I setup my doublet using one of the bushes on top for support. I sat on the ground in front of a rock, which made a decent chair.
Mt Hamilton with Mt Isabel to the right. Mt Misery is directly in front of Mt Hamilton, but very hard to see from this angle.
I was not in a hurry, so I spent over two hours on the summit. I made contacts on most of the bands I tried. I also spent some time on SSB, something I rarely do. This peak is in a good place for VHF, and I did make three contacts on 6 meters. Surprisingly, I didn't get anyone on 2 meters, but there was some intereference from the nearby tower. 220 didn't have anyone listening, but I did manage one contact on 440.
My setup. Coyote Peak summit behind the tower. Loma Prieta on the left, Mt Um between my pole and the tower.
Towards the end of my time up on the summit, the temperature started to drop and the wind picked up. Since I had been up there so long, I finished up my conversation and packed up. The hike down seemed steeper than it had on the way up.

Trailhead: Pueblo Day Use Area. There are a number of small parking lots along the road. I parked at the one where the road makes a U-turn, across the street from the Hidden Springs Trail.
Website: SOTA Site
Maps: https://www.sccgov.org/sites/parks/parkfinder/Documents/Santa-Teresa-map.pdf. AA6XA SOTA Hikes map
Route: Hidden Springs Trail is the shortest, other trails also go to the summit. Also possible to start at the base of the mountain.
Red Tape: Don't cut switchbacks. Don't ignore signs saying the area is closed.
Other: Bring a pair of binoculars for the summit, if it is a clear day.
Looking south, through some power lines. El Toro on the left, Twin Peaks on the right.

2 comments:

  1. I made attempt to activate this peak on Saturday, February 24, 2018, and parked at the end of the County View Drive after paved road ended - about 10 feet from gates with sign 'No trespassing'. Then another car arrived - truck with family and kids. They parked close to gate with sign 'No trespassing' and started to play with kite. Then Lexux SUV arrived and man asked me something. It was very windy, and I was unable to hear his question. Then he asked me " Can you move back, please?" It seems he was very angry , so I moved my car to the paved part of County View Drive. Then man chased family with kids, and they moved to the end of paved part of County View Drive and continue to play with kite. Angry man left. Most likely, he was an owner of multimillion dollar house and huge land around. On the way down I met Sheriff's car, coming up. So, please think twice if you will want to access Coyote Peak from County View Drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you had an adventure! Maybe we should ask K6EL to take down his description. Access from the county park on the North side is easy and legal, next time you come down.

      Delete