Monday, January 22, 2018

W6/SC-261 Pinyon Peak

Pinyon Peak is one of the peak lining the Carmel River Valley, and a nice hike. KE6MT had attempted to activate this peak last year, but was unable to with only an HT. I brought up my usual setup, and had no problems with the activation.
I followed Rex's route, since it seemed like a good one. The attendant at the Carmel Valley Ranch gate let me through when I told him I was there for a hike. I parked at the end of Oak Place Lane, then walked up the stairs between two of the buildings. At the top is the Huff-n-Puff Trail. There are signs warning you that it is very steep, but it is no worse than any other trail.
It was foggy and overcast as I left the trailhead.
The trail climbs up to a corral. There was construction going on, so I took the marked detour around to the Mucklehead Trail. This climbs along a fence line, the other side clearly marked as private. The trail makes a sharp bend to the left at a junction, with the other option signed "Trail Closed".
Getting more views as I climb.
The Snively's Ridge Trail climbs up the north and east side of the ridge, with views of the Carmel Valley. I was surprised how noisy it was, with traffic noise all the way to the summit. The trail is well graded, and seems to be maintained. At the top of the ridge, the trail levels out for a short distance as it passes an unnamed peak. Near a second peak there is a narrow path that heads off to the right. Take this, and follow the narrower ridge up to the summit. There is a small, rocky bump along the way. There is a trail that goes around each side of the peak. I recommend taking the one that goes around the north side, as it is better graded and easier to follow.
Tower on the summit.
 The final climb up the summit cone is the steepest part of the trail. On top there is a tower and two picnic tables. The second peak, withouth the tower, is slightly higher, and there are herd paths that lead over to it. Between the peaks is an old outhouse. There is no door, but other than that it seemed usuable. Certainly has one of the best views while doing your business.
Outhouse looking east.
I setup at one of the picnic tables, putting my pole in a bush. There were no trees on top, so bring your own support. It was cool and windy, but pleasant when the sun was out. I worked the bands in my usual order, 30, 20, 40, and made contacts on each. I had a strong LTE signal on my Verizon phone. There are some repeaters on the tower, and all the rf was causing interference on 2 meters for me. 70 cms was quiet, and I had a long qso with a fellow down in Seaside. If the other antennas weren't there, it would make a decent VHF peak, with line of sight to Monterey, Santa Cruz, and Salinas.
Me and my setup.
After spending over an hour on the summit, I was getting cold, so I said 73 and packed up. The return trip was better than I had feared, the mud was not slippery. Back at the car, I drove over to Jacks Peak to get in a second activation.
Fremont Peak to the left of the antenna, summit in the clouds.

Trailhead: Top of Oak Place Lane, Carmel Valley Ranch. Also approaches from the north (Garland Ranch Regional Park).
Website: SOTA Site
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map. Carmel Valley Ranch site
Route: Huff-n-Puff to Mucklehead to Sniveley's Ridge Trails.
Red Tape: Trail on the ridge is on easment. Stay on the trail.
Small cave near the summit.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you got this one! It's a nice summit, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked it. Next year I'll have to go up when it is warmer, and spend some time working more bands.

    ReplyDelete