Tuesday, October 30, 2018

W6/NC-204 Sonoma Mountains High Point

This peak is one of the nicest I've done in Sonoma County. There are two routes to the summit, from Jack London Park or from North Sonoma Mountains Park to the north. The North Sonoma Mountains park seemed like the preferred route, so I started there.
Heading up the trail.
The parking lot is at the top of a one-lane, partially dirt road. I parked and bought the pass, then hit the trail. The first bit is a wide fire road, but after crossing a creek it becomes a single track trail. In the lower sections the trail winds past vineyards and other open areas before entering the forest.
First view up to Mt St Helena.
There are periodic views through the trees, which make the hike more enjoyable. After 4 miles, the trail crosses into Jack London State Park. The section in the regional park is excessively well graded. In my opinion there are too many switchbacks.
Use trail up to the summit.
At the second intersection in the state park, take the well-worn herd path up to the summit. This section goes straight up the hill, and is much steeper than the rest. At the park boundary is a fence with a bench. The bench is inside the activation zone, which makes for a comfortable activation.
Mt Diablo dominated the view to the south.
I strapped my pole to the fence and got on the air. There was good cell service, so I could easily spot. I got a long pileup on thirty, including two summit-to-summits. Once people stopped calling me there I got everyone else on 20 and 40.
Operating position. All the good views are behind me.
There is a fair bit of RF on the summit from all the towers, but I was still able to make a few contacts on 2 meters.
Looking north-east. St Helena on the left edge, Mt Hood, Bald Mountain, Mt St John in the center. Berryessa Peak was visible too.
I had a long walk back to the car, and wanted to get another peak in, so I didn't linger as long as I could have. The hike down was quick. There were a lot more people coming up now that it wasn't so early. One woman who passed me was out for a run, and looked like she was having a miserable time. I was a terrible person, and cut a few of the more tedious switchbacks near the bottom.
Path close to the parking lot.
Back at the car I had a snack and rehydrated some before heading over to Bennett Mountain.

Trailhead: North Sonoma Mountains Regional Park, off of Sonoma Mountain Road.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the trail towards Jack London State Park. In the SP, continue up to the second intersection. Take the use trail up to the bench.
Red Tape: None.
There are a few benches on the way up for the weary hiker.

No comments:

Post a Comment