Tuesday, October 23, 2018

W6/NC-387

This unnamed peak is in the Los Vaqueros Reservoir watershed. I came up after spending the morning at Pacificon and hanging out with the other SOTA activators. The shortest access is from the dam. Enter the park, and pay the entry fee. Then drive to the end of the road, where there is a parking lot on the right. From here I walked up the paved road to the top of the dam where I got on the trail.
Looking back at the parking lot.
I took the Los Vaqueros Trail up the hill from the top of the dam. This climbs steeply, but it is a short climb.
Almost at the top of the climb!
On the ridge the trail becomes the Vista Grande Trail and levels out some while it continues up to the summit. There are three benches and a toilet on top. There are some trees too. I strapped my pole to one of the benches and strung out my HF antenna.
The trails are well marked.
Thirty and 20 meters were disappointing, but I got plenty of contacts or 40. After taking down the end-fed, I put up my EDZ for 2m and got setup there.
Extended Double Zepp for 2m.
There was plenty of action here, with a great location looking out over the central valley. My best DX was to a station NE of Chico, about 150 miles. I could have stayed a lot longer, but I had to get back to the car before they closed the gates at 6.
Enjoying the early evening light.
I took the Crest Trail back to the parking lot, to make it a loop hike. I made it back with a few minutes to spare before the gate closing, and headed home.

Trailhead: Parking lot at the bottom of the dam.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Los Vaqueros Trail to Vista Grande Trail. Or take the Crest Trail up.
Red Tape: None.

2020 Update: An alternate route is to start from the Morgan Territory Road Staging Area, the same Trailhead as for NC-190. This makes it about a 13 mile round trip.
Turns out the privy on top is scenic, with Mt Diablo in the background.
Power lines usually aren't this scenic.

No comments:

Post a Comment