Tuesday, October 30, 2018

W6/NC-305 Bennett Mountain

Bennett Mountain is a short distance north of the Sonoma Mountains High Point, and I came here right after activating the other peak. The consensus on Peakbagger.com seems to be that the best starting point is the trailhead on Carissa Ave, so that's where I went.
The trailhead.
It appears that parking is only allowed in the pullouts, and luckily for me, there was space for one car in the one at the trailhead. The trail climbs a small hill, then drops into a canyon in Trione-Annadel State Park. The park appears to be very popular with mountain bikers, and they passed me all day.
Hiking up the shady canyon.
The trail up was wide and well graded. There are some switchbacks on the steeper sections. At the first major trail junction, I turned right onto the narrower Marsh Trail. Continue up this trail to the picnic table at the bend. Just past the table is an unmarked, and probably unmaintained trail that takes you to the summit.
Lots of deer in the park.
This trail climbs, somewhat steeply, through the forest. It then breaks into an open area with a few junctions. It was obvious which direction was the right one to take. The trail becomes a road for the final climb, and re-enters the woods.
The only views were in the open section below the summit.
About 300 feet below the summit there is a fence and gate. The road continues up, outside the park, to the top. Here you can either use the road for an easy hike or follow the fence up inside the park. There was a fair bit of poison oak at the top, and it was hard to find somewhere to set up that wasn't in it.
Fence and road below the summit.
I setup in the stone ring near the fence. I'm sure I'll have poison oak in a few days, but I got the antenna up and was on the air. There was cell service from the peak. I didn't get as many contacts as earlier, but had no trouble activating the peak.
The tree covered summit.
I retraced my steps back to the car, except for the very end in the canyon. I took a use trail that followed the park boundary. It goes past a bunch of backyards, and is probably used by residents to get into the park.

Trailhead: Carissa Ave.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the trail over and drop into the canyon. Follow the road up to the Marsh Trail. Just past the picnic table, turn off and follow the narrow use trails up to the summit.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment