Wednesday, January 9, 2019

W1/CR-009 Mt Watatic

After hiking up Temple Mountain I drove around to the sound end of the Wapack Trail to hike Mt Watatic. There were a bunch of cars parked along the side of the road, but there were still a few spots free in the dirt lot. It seems like it is a popular spot for hiking.
The marsh wasn't totally frozen yet.
From the parking lot the trail is initially flat, passing through some marshy area on bog bridges. They were mostly frozen, but there was still some running water and I was glad to have the bridges. At the trail junction turn right to stay on the Wapack Trail. This will take you right to the summit.
Viewpoint on the way up.
About 2/3 of the way up the trail passes a small viewpoint. The summit is fairly open, with decent views in all directions. On clear days Boston is visible in the distance. It was cold and windy when I was on top, and the city was definitely not visible. After tagging the summit I descended a short distance to some bushes to setup out of the wind.
Summit cairn.
On the air I had no trouble getting enough stations to fill the log. I tried to get a summit to summit with K6ARK in California, but he couldn't hear me. I had sweat a bit on the way up, so sitting in the breeze got cold quickly. I made very good time on the way down, trying to warm up again.
The tread was not well defined on parts of the trail.
This was the 126th and final summit I had done in 2018. This was a record year for me, getting 5 more summits than in 2017. However I got fewer points in 2018 than 2017, likely due to more 1-point summits. I finished the year with 706 points. If I can keep up the same rate, I should get Mountain Goat in 2019!

Trailhead: Trailhead on MA 119. It was well signed.
Website: SOTA Site.
Route: Take the Wapack Trail north to the summit. Possible to make a loop using the Midstate Trail.
Red Tape: None. 

No comments:

Post a Comment