Wednesday, January 9, 2019

W1/HA-181 Temple Mountain

It was the last day of the year, and there was time to get in two more peaks. I wanted to get Temple Mountain and Mt Watatic because they were the last two peaks on the Wapack trail I hadn't done yet. The other peaks are Pack Monadnock and North Pack Monadnock. The easiest access to Temple Mountain seemed to be from the large parking lot on 101, across from the Pack Monadnock road.
Plenty of parking, and Pack Monadnock wasn't in the clouds yet.
I took the short trail over to the Wapack Trail, then started heading south. The first part of the hike is up the access road for the communication tower on the side of the mountain. This section was very icy, and I was grateful to have the microspikes with me. At the tower the trail turns into a single track trail and heads into the woods.
In the cold woods.
It was a very gray day. The forecast was for rain and snow in the evening, and the clouds were getting ready. The maps I had looked at before I left showed the trail going around the side of the peak, meaning a bushwhack would be required. Lucky for me, they were wrong and the Wapack Trail goes directly over the summit. There was a small sign and small rocky clearing at the top. No views.
A rather underwhelming peak.
There was enough space for me to put up the pole and wire without it getting tangled in the trees, which made my life easier. My verizon phone had good service. On the air I started on 20 meters, quickly getting a bunch of European DX in the log, including my first German station. After a few minutes on 40 I started getting cold, so I packed up and retraced my steps.
The top of Pack Monadnock in the clouds as I descend down the sheets of ice.
 The walk back was quick, and back at the car I turned on the heat and drove down to the trailhead for Mt Watatic.

Trailhead: Temple Mountain Reservation parking lot, at the height of land on 101. 
Website: SOTA Site.
Route: Take the Wapack Trail south to the summit.
Red Tape: None. 

No comments:

Post a Comment