Tuesday, January 29, 2019

W6/NC-464

After activating Mt St Helena, I decided to try and get this unnamed peak. One of the maps I saw online showed a trail running along the ridge connecting the two, but no official map did. I figured I try, and if it got too hard I'd turn around and find a better way for a future trip.
3431 is the high point above the cliffs.
The ridge leaves the access road where the turn off for East Peak is. I started this direction, and quickly found that there was indeed an unmaintained trail like I had seen on the map. It was reasonable easy to follow. It is quite overgrown in places, requiring ducking to get through some of the brush. Most of the time the plants  were rubbing against my shoulders as I walked.
Looking back at the St Helena.
The trail goes over a few bumps on the ridge, dropping slowly, then drops very steeply. I slipped a few places in the loose dirt, but made it to the col without any incidents. In a few of the clearings it was hard to tell where the trail re-entered the woods, but I managed not to get lost. In the col it crosses a few streams, then joins an abandoned jeep trail to begin climbing.
Col between 3431 and Goat Roost Rock.
The jeep trail was a pleasant walk, despite all the blow downs. When I reached the col between 3431 and Goat Roost Rock I turned off and started bushwhacking. There were two parts to the bushwhack, a steep climb through open forest, and a fight on the flat section through dense brush. I discovered on the way down that the left side of the ridge (North/West) was a bit more open and much easier going.
Almost at the top!
I found a small clearing near the summit and set up there. There was sort of enough room to string out the antenna, but I made contacts with it anyway. I had good cell service. After working everyone, I packed up for the slog back to St Helena. I cut down the side of the ridge back to the jeep trail, then followed it back. The steep climb back up was tiring.
View down the valley to the west.
Back on the main road, I took a break, then headed down. There were some climbers on some of the cliffs lower down, and I watched them for a few minutes. Back at the car I headed down the hill and joined the traffic heading home from Napa Valley.

Trailhead: Robert Louis Stevenson SP.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Hike up to the turn off for Mt St Helena East Peak. Turn right and follow the faint trail along the ridge, down, across, then up the abandoned jeep trail to the col. Bushwhack up to the summit. Might be easier to come in from the west if there's parking on Ida Clayton Road.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment