Monday, March 22, 2021

KFF-3844 Jordan Lake

 The end was finally here, and I was heading to the airport to go home. Since my flight was in the late afternoon, I had some time to kill. Rather than sit around the terminal, I decided to get a quick WWFF/POTA activation in. Jordan Lake Recreation Area was on the way to the airport, so it was easy to stop by for some fresh air.

Playground and picnic shelter.

My plan was to go to Poplar Point and find a table to set up at. However, the lady at the entrance booth told me I needed a camping reservation to go in. So I instead went to the Ebenezer area, a few miles down the road. This day use area has some beaches and other stuff you might want as a day tripper.

Setup in the car. It felt so wrong.

It was cool and windy, and most of my warm gear was packed away, so I decided to operate from the car. I set my wire up from the car window across a field, using a tree to hold up the pole. Overall seemed like a good setup.
Pole and wire against a tree.

Since I only had limited time I decided to only do 20 and 40. I started on the higher band, and got a number of people, including Italy. After about 15 minutes I switched to 40 to get the locals. Someone started sending dits over me, on and off. After a few times of this, I just gave up. It was about the time I had to leave anyway, so not much time lost.
The stick I used as a stake is visible in the middle of the field.

This was a nice place for a quick activation, and if I'm in the area again I'll probably stop by for some more operating.

No comments:

Post a Comment