Friday, March 12, 2021

KFF-4514 Uwharrie National Forest

 Another free weekend day during work travel meant another trip to a POTA park. I had just done a long day across the river in Morrow Mountain SP, so was looking for something easier. I found a nice 8-mile loop in the national forest and headed out to the trailhead. 

The camp I passed twice. The road appears to be open to here.

It was much warmer than the day before, and as soon as I got out of the car I regretted wearing long pants. Nothing I could do at that point so I set off. My first goal was Dennis Mountain. It was a pleasant run along the road and trails to the summit. The area is much flatter than I expected; I guess I'm just used to the high relief of the Bay Area. 

Uwharrie NRT blazed in white.

There weren't too many people on the trail, and the area seemed popular with bikers. I was soon at the summit, where I found a small clearing just off the trail to set up in. I made some contacts, though not as many as I would have liked. What can you do, band conditions don't always cooperate. 

Playing radio at the summit.

From the top of Dennis it was a pleasant descent back down to the car. The overcast burned off while I was on the radio and the temperature increased a lot. I was really burning up in the pants now. 

Trail through the bare forest.

The trailhead parking lot was much more busy when I got back, which made sense since I had seen a lot more people on the trail near the end. Overall, it was a nice and easy little hike. The area is probably very pretty in the spring when the leaves and flowers come out. 


No comments:

Post a Comment