Tuesday, March 16, 2021

KFF-3848 Weymouth Woods Sandhills Park

 I was tired of sitting in my hotel room, so I decided to go out and play radio for a while. This park was a few minutes drive away, so seemed like an easy one to go do. 

Park border.

I wasn't looking for a big hike, so I decided to go to the Boyd Tract. There is parking at the Weymouth Center for Arts and Humanities, or across the street at the Campbell House. I parked in the large lot at the Weymouth Center.
About to set up at one of the picnic tables.

From here it is a short walk into the park, where there is a large field. Around the outside are a number of picnic tables. I picked one that was in the shade near some trees, and got set up. I hadn't planned on doing easy activations like this, so I only had my trail running setup. It wasn't difficult to get the wire up, however.
Making contacts on 40m.

There is excellent cell service, since I was basically in Southern Pines. I started on 40m, and quickly started getting contacts. Once they seemed to dry up, I went to 30 then 20. There wasn't anyone on 20, but some skimmers in Europe heard me, so the band must have been open. 

Woods just outside the Weymouth Center.

Once the contacts stopped, I went back to 40 to see if I could get anyone else. After a few more people got into the log, I packed up and headed back to the hotel. 
Overall, this is an easy park, with a number of different places to operate from. I enjoy going there to run or play radio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment