Monday, January 3, 2022

W1/HA-025 Mt Sunapee

 This was the second peak on my end of 2021 three peak extravaganza. After getting the poorly named Bald Sunapee. I set off up the Andrew Brook Trail. This is not the shortest option, but I was already here for Bald Sunapee, and I didn't want to deal with the ski area parking for that trail. The beginning of this trail is fairly flat, and includes crossing one wide stream. There was some plastic tubing running through the woods, and I assume it was for maple syrup collection.

Getting ready for syrup season?

The blue blazed trail then stared climbing. It was a steady climb, and not unreasonably steep. I passed a couple who told me the summit was above the clouds, so I was looking forward to that. Parts of the trail were bare of snow. I tried to not walk on the rocks, since I was wearing spikes. At one point I stepped on some ice while crossing a stream, and broke through. I'm glad to report my winter boots are still nice and waterproof.

That's a smile, not a grimace.

At the top of the climb, it levels out a bit, and crosses a small rise. On the other side is Lake Solitude. The sun was out by this point, and it was simply beautiful. That would be an awesome camping spot, somewhere around the lake.

Joining the Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway.

At the junction at the end of the lake I joined the Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway, which I took the rest of the way to the summit. Sadly, it was warm enough up here that the trees were all dripping on me. Despite the nice sun, it felt like I was hiking in a rainstorm. I thought about going to look at the White Ledges viewpoint, but it seemed a bit foggy for a view. Along the ridge there are a few bumps and I made quick time. The trail comes out of the woods at a ski trail. This one was closed, but the next one that I followed to the summit was not. It is not super comfortable walking on a ski trail with lots of skiers.

Summit lodge and tower.

At the summit I looked around briefly before finding an open space without people. It was just past the summit lodge, where the trail from the ski area parking lot comes out of the woods. I set up off to the side. I was wet from sweat and the trees, and got cold quickly. It didn't help that the sun went away as I got to the top. 

I had good service for spotting and texting, and started making contacts. The highlight was a summit to summit with a Spanish station. He was pretty weak, but enough that we were able to complete the QSO. It'll be fun in a few years when that sort of DX is easier.

On Lake Solitude looking up at the ledges.

Sufficiently cold, I packed up and started down. The trail seemed even more slushy than on the way up. This time it was clearer, and I stopped by the ledges viewpoint. It is definitely worth the walk. The hike down was quick, though I re-entered the fog a little below the lake. Back at the car I cranked up the heat and drove over to Bly Hill for a quick activation before going home.


Trailhead: Andrew Brook Trailhead, Between the Mountains Road. There is only parking for about half a dozen cars here, and there are "No Parking" signs along parts of the road.
Website: SOTA Site. Mt Sunapee SP
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the Andrew Brook Trail to Lake Solitude, then the Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway north to the summit.
Red Tape: None.
Video: YouTube coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment