Wednesday, January 19, 2022

2022 January VHF Contest on W6/NC-350 Loma Alta

 Like I have the past few years, I went up to Loma Alta in Marin for the January VHF contest. I took the same route, from Big Rock, up to the summit. 

A bit overcast at the start.

It is two miles to the summit, and it took about an hour with the giant load I was carrying. There was a good breeze at the top too, and I was worried I would get cold and have to pack up early.

Most of the gear, set up and ready.

I had 50, 144, 222, 432, 902, 1296, and 10368 with me this year, and I was hoping to make contacts on all those bands. I used the same setup as last year, the yagis on one "tower" and the wire antennas on the other.

144, 222, and 432 yagis.

Extended Double Zepps for 6m (inverted v) and 2m (vertical)

I had a few minutes before the contest, so I made a few QSOs on 10 and 15 in NAQP. I was disappointed that NAQP was moved, since normally I can do both. I did pretty well on Saturday, making lots. I was disheartened that I couldn't find anyone on 902 or 10GHz, but I thought that maybe on Sunday those people would come out.

A stunning sunset.

I managed to pack everything up before the light was totally gone, and enjoyed a spectacular sunset as I descended.

The next morning, I picked up KN6REU, and we drove back up to Big Rock. It seemed a little warmer, but it was still pretty chilly on top. For the second day, I only put up the wires and the 2m beam.

Very green this time of year.

I made some more contacts, and even got a few new mults. It was nice to get them. KN6REU only made a dozen contacts, but she was busy staying warm and making warm beverages.

Making 2m contacts.

Overall it was a great weekend, and we're looking forward to the next one!


Video: Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment