Monday, January 3, 2022

W1/HA-076 Bly Hill

 After activating Bald Sunapee and Mt Sunapee, I drove up to this summit for an easy drive up activation. Bly Hill is at the top of High Meadow Road, off of Rollins Road. Your favorite mapping program can get you there. 

On the satellite view, it looked like there is a "T" at the end, and I could park there and operate out of the way. However, when I got up there, the "T" was full of construction vehicles building a new house there. So instead I parked on the side of the road. 

Using the winder as a snow stake.

As I was setting up, one of the workers drove by and stopped to see what I was doing. After giving a quick explanation, he drove off and let me be. I sat in front of the car on the side of the road. Not a very nice operating position, but I didn't have to worry about other cars hitting me. 

I only had about 30 minutes to operate before I had to head back south, but this was not a problem. I made lots of contacts on 20m, a few on 40m, and a surprising number on 17m, despite spending only five minutes on the band.

A very easy one point.

Once my fingers got cold, I took it as a sign to pack up. When I got home, however, I discovered I was missing one of my gloves. It hasn't turned up yet, so if anyone find a black liner type glove on the side of the road up there, its mine.


Trailhead: End of High Meadow Road, or anywhere in the activation zone you can park.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Find somewhere on the side of the road to operate from.
Red Tape: None.
Video: coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment