Wednesday, December 26, 2018

W1/HA-203 North Pack Monadnock

I was back in New Hampshire for the Christmas holiday, and I had one goal: Activate seven more summits so I could do more summits than last year. I started this with an easy nearby summit, North Pack Monadnock. I had done Pack Monadnock earlier this year, or I would have combined the two in one hike.
Sun shining through the forest at the parking lot.
I decided to go up the short way, up the north side of the mountain. The Wapack Trail parking lot was easy to find, and had some spaces left. It was around 30 degrees when I set off, much colder than I'm used to in California. I quickly warmed up as I headed up the trail. The Wapack Trail is blazed with yellow triangles, and is a popular hiking trail.
The distinctive Wapack Trail blazes.
Despite the popularity and a well defined trail, I managed to wander off the trail pretty quickly. After nearly hitting my head on a few low branches I started to wonder why such a popular trail needed so much maintenance. I then realized there weren't any blazes, so I backtracked and found the real trail.
Snow and ice higher up the trail.
 The trail got much more icy once I got to the ledgy section. There was enough bare rock I didn't need to put on the micro spikes. I passed a number of people coming back down. Once I got to the top I put on all my jackets then looked for a place to set up. I found one in the sun and out of the wind near the summit cairn.
Looking at the antenna.
I started on 40 after putting out a spot. There was good cell service on top. After working everyone, I went up to 20. Here I had an unruly pileup, which made me think that the band might be open to Europe, but it was mostly Americans. I did get G4OBK though. Once the pileup was done, I was getting cold, so I packed up.
Summit of North Pack Monadnock.
Before heading down I put on the micro spikes. I was glad I had them. I managed to get down without falling. Back at the car I put on the heat and enjoyed a warm drive home.

Trailhead: Wapack Trail northern terminus, on Mountain Road in Greenfield.
Website: SOTA Site.
Route: Hike up the Wapack Trail.
Red Tape: None. Entire route is in the Wapack NWR.
One chilly activator.

No comments:

Post a Comment