Monday, May 13, 2019

W6/CT-168

This is another easy peak in the Palmdale area. After getting Peak 3819 I drove over to this one. I started at 6808 Escondido Canyon Road, as described by N6JZT and NA6MG. I missed the sign and had to turn around before I found it. The lot appears to be for sale, if you want your own SOTA peak.
Trailhead.
I walked down the driveway, then started up the hill. There are a number of other roads and paths on the hill, but I just took the ones that looked like they went where I wanted to go. This worked out well, and I made it to the summit without getting lost of having to bushwhack. There were lots of signs of horses on the trail, and I saw some nearby stables.
Not particularly scenic with the freeway just below you.
I found the pile of rocks at the high point, and jammed my pole in. I tried to string out the antenna so that it would guy the pole a bit, but I seem to have stuck it in the rocks well. Unsurprisingly, there was excellent cell coverage the entire hike.
The crest of the San Gabriel Mountains.
Again, I had no problem getting my contacts. I took the same route back to the car, where I returned to Palmdale to get some dinner. It had been a great afternoon of SOTA.

Trailhead: 6808 Escondido Canyon Road.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Follow the roads and trails up to the summit. Open terrain, bushwhacking would be a viable option here too.
Red Tape: None.
Some peaks across the freeway, near the trailhead.

No comments:

Post a Comment