Wednesday, May 15, 2019

W6/ND-308 Saddleback Butte

I had the morning off, so I decided to get one of the buttes near Palmdale. Saddleback Butte was an obvious choice since it's in a state park. I drove over, and parked at the campground. I paid my fee and was on the trail.
Start of the trail.
The trail leaves right from the day use parking at the campground. The first mile and a quarter is on loose sand, and requires more effort that you'd expect. It was mid-week, so I had the place to myself. I passed two people who were coming down from the top and they told me about all the lizards they had seen.
Climbing up.
Once the trail reaches the base of the butte it hardens up and the footing is better. It is steep in sections, but there are plenty of switchbacks. The trail is well marked and worn, no trouble following it.
The view back towards Palmdale.
At the saddle, follow the trail to the left to the higher northern peak. The summit is rocky and narrow, but just below it to the north is a large flat area. I walked down here and used a bush to hold up my pole. The bands were not it the greatest shape, but I got 8 contacts anyway. Great cell service the entire hike.
It was hazy, but I could see Baden Powell.
It wasn't too hot, but I was getting bored so I packed up and retraced my steps back to the car. Back in town I got some lunch and got ready for work that evening.

Trailhead: Saddleback Butte SP campground. Also a trail from the day use area.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the trail up to the summit. Very well marked.
Red Tape: None.
A big joshua tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment