Wednesday, May 15, 2019

W6/CT-158 Fernando 2 Benchmark

It was time to head home again, but I had some time before my flight. So I found an easy drive up summit to do on my way back to Burbank. To get there, take your favorite route to Bear Divide, then turn up road 3N17.8. This narrow, windy road will take you up to an LA County Fire station.
Summit from the helipad.
You can drive all the way up to the summit, but I wanted to walk a little, so I parked at the fire station. It is a quick walk up the paved road to the summit. There is a large flat area on top, likely flattened from when there was a Nike Missile site up here.
Looking back at the fire station.
I setup next to a tree on the north west side of the summit, and got on the air. There was excellent cell service, and I soon had a pileup on 20. As the pileup was winding down, a car pulled up to the top. The guy got out and started walking up to where I was sitting. I finished my contact then turned to see what they wanted. Much to my surprise, it was Jordan, WC6J! He had driven down to do some of the peaks in the area, and we had both decided this was the place to be.
Steep and dramatic canyon below the helipad.
After chatting for a few minutes, he went back to his car to get his stuff while I went down to 40. After working the remaining chasers I packed up and let Jordan get set up. The drive back down the hill was scenic, and I was soon back at the airport.

Trailhead: LACD Fire Camp 9.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Drive up to the top, or park at the station and walk up.
Red Tape: None. Don't block the roads.
I sat under that tree to operate.

No comments:

Post a Comment