Wednesday, July 24, 2019

W5N/SI-003 South Sandia Mountain

I was in New Mexico for a week of hiking and SOTA, and this peak was the first on the list. After arriving at the Albuquerque airport, I picked up my car and drove over to the Canyon Estates Trailhead on the east side of the mountain. There is a small lot there, and I found one of the last free spots.
Starting up the trail.
It was a lot hotter than I was expecting, but I figured I had enough water to get up and back safely, so I set off. I took the most direct route to the summit. The first part was a low grade and pleasant walk through the forest. At the waterfall the switchbacks started.
Partway up the mountain.
I turned around occasionally to enjoy the views, which got better the higher I climbed. At the next trail junction I took the middle fork, after some trouble finding it. This trail went straight up the back of the mountain, at a rather steep grade. The forest service map calls this the CCC Trail. As I climbed I started to feel the effects of the altitude.
Some of the lush forest.
There were some sections of lush forest where the trail levels off. I missed a turn here and walked a bit more than I had to, but realized my mistake before I got too far. On the correct trail I crossed over the ridge to the west side and got my first views of Albuquerque, and the summit.
Looking down at the city.
It was quite windy on the summit. I took the trail up the final climb along the top of a cliff. I was glad the wind was blowing me into the wall instead of the other way. The views from the top were excellent. The Sandia Crest is an impressive mountain.
South Sandia and the higher Sandia Crest.
On the summit I stuck my pole in some bushes and used the antenna to help guy it in the wind. I started on 20m and quickly filled the log. After working everyone, I tried 30 and 40, but didn't get nearly as many contacts. Since I was above the city, I tried 2 meters as well. I got a few chasers, and it was nice to hear their voices after only working them with CW before.
What a beautiful place to be.
The altitude was really getting to me, giving me a bad headache, so I didn't spend as long as I would have liked on the summit. The descent went quickly, and my head felt much better the farther down I got. Back at the car I put on a clean shirt and headed into Albuquerque for some dinner before the long drive up to the Taos area where I was meeting Joe N0MAP and Allison for more hiking.

Trailhead: Canyon Estates Trailhead.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Head up the trail. At the first junction, don't turn on to the Faulty Trail. Take the middle fork at the next junction, onto the CCC Trail. Be careful at the top to take the correct trail to get onto the summit.
Red Tape: None.
The crest was very green despite being the middle of the summer.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you found the CCC trail. I have done this hike many times and always seem to get off the trail somewhere ;-) Up top I have encountered bear in the fall. Altitude headache can be a symptom of dehydration.

    ReplyDelete