Tuesday, July 9, 2019

W8V/EP-003 Jefferson County HP

I was in the DC area for work, and I finally got a day off. Naturally I headed for the hills to get some activations in. I wanted to get a peak in both West Virginia and Virginia, to get those associations. I started with this peak.
Stairs up at the start of the blue-blazed access trail.
The peak is along the Appalachian Trail, so access is fairly easy. I decided to start at the Blackburn Trail Center. This is run by the PATC, and generally has free trailhead parking. The road to the center is unpaved and steep in sections, but any sedan should be able to make it. I parked in one of the small lots, then headed up to the trail. The PATC does a very good job maintaining their section of the AT, and the blue-blazed access trail is no different.
Back on the AT.
It is a short but steep 0.3 miles up to the AT. On top of the ridge I turned left and followed the white blazes south for about 2 miles. This part of the Appalachian Mountains is characterized by long, flat ridges with shallow gaps between. Everything on the east coast is so lush and green this time of year, I really enjoyed walking though the woods. Less humidity would have been nice, but you can't have everything. I made good time along the ridge, then dropped down into Wilson Gap. This is one of the less impressive gaps on the AT, but it still has a sign.
Not much in the gap.
The climb out the other side felt short, and I was soon at the high point. After tagging it, I turned around to set up in an open forest I had passed on the way. There was a nicely placed rock to sit on, and I put up my antenna. I made 4 contacts on 30, then packed up. I had an evening flight and wanted to get another summit in before I had to go to the airport.
Some interesting rocks along the AT.
I retraced my steps back to the Blackburn Center, then drove back down the hill and over to my next summit, Blue Mountain.

Trailhead: Blackburn Trail Center.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the blue-blazed trail up to the ridge top. Turn left and head south on the AT for about 2 miles.
Red Tape: None.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the nice detailed write up. I greatly appreciated your mileage notes. So many trip reports don't include those stats and when you're planning a trip they really help a lot. I also enjoyed your photos. It makes me very excited to get back to highpointing after the winter we had. Thanks, Dennis Stewart

    ReplyDelete