Tuesday, October 15, 2019

W6/SD-435 Pilot Knob

The summer is not the best time for desert hiking, but I was tired of sitting around inside. I decided to wait until the evening for a hike, in the hopes that it would be cooler. I left the hotel and drove over to a BLM parking lot and camping area at the base of the peak.
Sunset from the parking lot.
The desert is rather flat around the peak, and I tried to decide the best route up as I walked over to the base of the hill. I picked a ridge that seemed to have a worn use trail going up, and started up. The ridge got steeper as I went, becoming class 2 in places.
Up the ridge.
Since the sun was setting, I was concerned that I'd have to come down it in the dark. I kept a lookout for other potential routes down. I got to the top of the ridge just before sunset, and accidentally went to the wrong peak. The ridge top was an easy traverse, so I got to the high point pretty quickly.
So beautiful.
 There is a cross and some other equipment on the summit. There was a pole that I put my antenna pole in. I got on the air and started calling CQ. I was in a bit of a rush, since I didn't want to be up there in the dark. I got 2 contacts on 40, then 1 on 30 before I decided I had to go. Climbing down small cliffs in the dark didn't sound fun.
Moments before the end of sunset.
I had spied a decent looking descent route on the way up, and lucky for me it turned out to be a good one. There was a wide, fire road type path with lots of switchbacks coming down, and I took it. It was just about too dark to see by the time I made it back to the car.
Looking towards Yuma.
Trailhead: BLM Pilot Knob Long Term Visitor Area. Just south of the freeway off of exit 164
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Pick one of the use trails and take it up to the top. The face north of the summit has a decent road/trail.
Red Tape: None.
New colors after the sun set.

No comments:

Post a Comment