Monday, October 14, 2019

W7I/SR-167 Kodiak Peak

I had a bit of time to kill on my way back to the airport, so I decided to run up this peak. Time was tight, but I thought I'd be able to get up and activate it in time. I parked in a large pullout on the side of route 21. From here I dropped down to the small creek and found a crossing point. I was able to jump across without getting my feet wet.
Looking up towards the summit.
The best way seemed to be to climb over a small ridge, then climb up to the summit. I was a bit short on time, so I just hiked up as fast as I could. The breeze was nice up on the ridge, but I was still pretty hot by the time I got to the summit. I took a few moments to catch my breath, took some photos, then got set up.
Fluffy storm clouds in the distance.
On the air I didn't have good luck. I only made two contacts before I had to pack up. I probably could have stayed a few extra minutes to try more, but I started hearing some lightning on 40 and decided it wasn't worth it. The run down was fast, and a few minutes after I got to the car there was a very loud thunderclap. I was very glad I made the decision to leave!
It was a very scenic area.
This is a great little peak, and I wouldn't mind heading up it again sometime in the future.

Trailhead: Large pullout on the side of route 21. There are a few to choose from.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Cross the stream, then head up the shoulder. Cross the next drainage and then continue up to the high point. Easy travel through the open terrain.
Red Tape: None.
Note the large supply of gummy bears.

No comments:

Post a Comment