Friday, December 27, 2019

W1/HA-152 Pitcher Mountain

One of my sisters had to work on Christmas, so my parents and I decided to go out for a hike on Christmas day. My mom is working on the NH firetowers list, so we picked out Pitcher Mountain. The trailhead is on NH123 west of Stoddard, and there is a small lot there.
Go up the right road, past the kiosk.
There are two options to get to the top, the road or a trail. They're about the same distance, both very short hikes. We made a loop, up the blue trail and down the road. It took about 15 minutes to walk up to the summit. I put on some more jackets, then got set up.
Lots of other RF on the summit.
There was some noise on 20m from the tower on top, but I was able to find a clear frequency. The interference moved in briefly, but not enough to cause me any trouble. There were plenty of European stations, which was fun. After working the pileup on 20, people were starting to get cold, so I packed up.
The fire tower.
On the way down, another sister called, so we stopped to talk to here, since there wasn't good service in the parking lot. Since it was such a short hike, we decided to go over and see if we could get up to Round Mountain on the other side of town.

Trailhead: Pitcher Mountain Trailhead, route 123, Stoddard.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Head up either trail. They're about the same distance and both very short.
Red Tape: None.
Making contacts on the summit.

No comments:

Post a Comment