Monday, December 2, 2019

W6/NC-154

This peak was the second of the day, continuing my loop from Lowery Benchmark. From the col between the two peaks, where the Fiske Creek Trail meets the road, I started hiking up the road. It had rained earlier in the week, and the mud was super sticky.
Such heavy mud.
I had to stop every few minutes to scrape the mud off. Really got my leg workout in. I also saw a number of mountain lion tracks, but no mountain lions.
Glad I didn't meet the maker.
It seemed like a long climb up, but I made it to the top of the ridge eventually. The views were great here, but blocked to the east by Blue Ridge. I turned right, and made my way to the summit.
Looking back at Blue Ridge.
There is a short spur road that goes over the summit. With lots of open space I picked a bush to hold my pole and got set up. Planning ahead I put on my puffy jacket when I stopped. I was disappointed with 20 and 30, but I got lots of contacts on 40. Still warm, I decided to try VHF, but didn't get any contacts. I would have spent more time on the summit, but some dark, ominous clouds appeared to be moving closer.
Dark clouds just outside the frame.
It was about seven miles back to the trailhead, mostly downhill. I ran most of them. A truck passed me right before I left the ridge, the only other humans I saw on the loop. The descent was the same vertical, but over twice the distance as the climb up to Blue Ridge. This made it a very pleasant jog down. The darkening sky certainly helped move me along too.
Blue Ridge across the valley.
I hadn't brought a raincoat since the forecasters had said it would be nice all day. I felt better once I got into the forest again. I was surprised to see tire tracks since the road is closed at the north end at Cache Creek.
Large barn near the trailhead.
A few moments after I got back to the car, it started raining. I couldn't have timed it any better. I got in, started the heater, and began the long drive back home.
My favorite road sign.
Trailhead: Cache Creek Canyon Regional Park (Fiske Trailhead). This is also where Road 40 turns off of CA 16
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take Road 40 up to the ridge, then head south to the summit. It is possible to drive to this summit with an appropriate vehicle.
Red Tape: None.
I don't think I'd want to drive over the bridge, but I'm glad its still open to pedestrians.

No comments:

Post a Comment