Thursday, December 26, 2019

W1/NL-019 Mt Pawtuckaway

Another day for some New Hampshire SOTA. I had to drop my dad off at work in order to use the car, so I decided to head east and get some peaks. First up was Mt Pawtuckaway North. This peak is in the northwest corner of Pawtuckaway State Park. The closest trailhead is on Reservoir Road, and this is where I started.
Starting up the trail.
There was parking for 4-5 cars, and it looked like it was a heavily used trailhead, even in the winter. There was no one else there when I started, and I didn't complain. The first half mile is a flat approach to the hill. Then there is a 500 foot climb, then a walk along the ridge.
About to start the climb up.
The only tricky part is at the junction, you have to go right then immediately left to go up to the summit. I took off the spikes when I started climbing since there was much less snow on the slope. It was an easy climb, but I took it slow since I didn't want to get too sweaty and freeze when I got to the top.
Big rock at the summit.
There were a few viewpoints along the ridge looking back into the park, and I stopped to enjoy them. The summit is a large, flat, glacial erratic boulder. I climbed up, then decided to sit up there to operate. I strung out my antenna and got on the air. Like on Monadnock the previous day, there were plenty of European chasers on 20m.
About to drop off the ridge.
Once I started getting cold I packed up and headed back to the car. The hike down was pretty easy, there wasn't enough ice to make it hard. At the car I had a snack and drove over to the start of Saddleback Mountain, my next goal of the day.

Trailhead: North Mountain Trailhead, Reservoir Road, Pawtuckaway SP
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the North Peak Trail up to the summit.
Red Tape: None.
On the summit.

No comments:

Post a Comment