Thursday, December 26, 2019

W1/MV-002 Fort Mountain

It was the final peak of the day, after Saddleback Mountain. I followed W1DMH's directions to the trailhead on Mountain View Road. I didn't read them closely enough though, since I parked in the wrong place and started up the wrong road. After a quarter mile I realized my mistake and turned around to go the right way.
The correct road.
The correct road has power lines running up it, with an "Authorized Vehicles Only" sign on one of the poles. There are a number of signs forbidding the use of ATVs and such, but the sign at the gate says hikers are welcome.
Nice to see that I'm welcome.
The hike is an easy walk up the road. It took me about 20 minutes to get up. There was a guy on top who had driven his 4-wheeler up, despite the signs. I said high, and he left a minute later. The views on top were awesome, at least compared to the other peaks I had done that day.
Looking one direction
I put up my antenna in a windy spot because there was a view, despite the cold. Getting contacts was easy, and once I started getting cold I packed up. I wish it had been a bit warmer so I could have stayed up and enjoyed the view a bit more. The hike down was quick, and back at the car I turned on the heat for the drive home.
Looking north, I think.
Trailhead: Mountain View Road.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Walk up to the road to the tower.
Red Tape: None. Don't drive past the sign.
Selfie time on the way up.

No comments:

Post a Comment