Monday, June 27, 2022

W6/CT-067 Table Mountain


 After hiking Circle Mountain I drove up the Angeles Crest Highway a few miles to Table Mountain Road. Here, I drove up to the end, where there is a big parking lot for Mountain High North Resort. There were a few cars there, and the restaurant seemed to be open. I tried to get a shady spot.

Abandoned ski lifts.

From here it was a short walk up the hill to the top of Table Mountain. There is an active disc golf course here, so be careful. After walking around a little, I found a tree that I could sit behind that looked like it would offer protection from wayward discs. And as a bonus, it was shady.
My protector tree.

I used a downed tree to hold up my antenna, strung up away from the golf course. I had very marginal cell service, and I wasn't able to reliably get out spots. Despite this, I made plenty of HF contacts, and some summit-to-summit stations even found me. It was pleasantly cool on top, a nice change from the two exposed summits I had just done.
View down to the desert.

Once I was done, I walked back down to the car for the long drive back to Palmdale. It was sad seeing the burned joshua trees down in the desert from the Bobcat fire. Those trees are really neat. 

Trailhead: End of Table Mountain Road (4N21).
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Walk up and find a good spot. The parking lot appears to be just below the AZ. 
Red Tape: None. 
Video: ham_bitious YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment