Monday, June 27, 2022

W6/CT-071 Circle Mountain


 After getting back to the car from Ralston Peak, I continued driving up Lone Pine Canyon Road to the height of land, just south of Wrightwood. Here I parked in a small pullout by a gate and started up to Circle Mountain.

Parking spot behind the camera.

The trail starts as a fire road, and drops a short distance to a col. Here I passed some guys taking their dogs for a walk. When I told them I was going to the summit, they seemed impressed, saying they'd never been. The fire road ends here, and it becomes a single track trail.
High peaks of the San Gabriel Mountains.

The trail obviously sees maintenance, there were plenty of trimmed branches and such along the way. It wasn't too steep, especially compared to what I had just done on Ralston. The summit is fairly large and flat, but I found a small cairn with a register. After checking for red ants, I stopped and signed it, then put up the antenna. 
On the air with my QCXmini.

The cell service was marginal, and combined with the hot sun, my phone got hot enough to turn itself off. However, I had no problems getting contacts on the bands, making at least one on each band. As I was packing up I noticed some structure farther down the summit. It could have been a picnic table, but I didn't want to walk over to find out, so I just went down. 
Nearly back at the road.

It was a quick trip down. Back at the car I blasted the AC and drove up a bit farther to get Table Mountain.

Trailhead: Height of land, Lone Pine Canyon Road.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Follow the road then trail to the summit. 
Red Tape: None. 
Video: ham_bitious YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment