Wednesday, June 1, 2022

W6/CT-130 Grass Mountain

 Immediately after activating Burn Benchmark, I crossed San Francisquito Road and drove up the dirt road on the north side to Grass Mountain. This is road 6N04. It was a bit rough, but the sedan I had was able to make it without scraping, bottom or sides. About two thirds of the way up, there is a junction, where you continue straight (left) onto 6N05. This road crosses the PCT, then ends at the summit.

Antenna set up in the grass on Grass Mountain.

There is a large turn around area, and I parked on the side. There was no one else up there, and I didn't expect to see anyone. Since it was close to noon and getting hot out, I found a place under some of the trees to set up. I missed out on a view, but was much more comfortable.

MTR 3B making contacts.

There were a lot of flies on the summit, which made operating no fun. I had enough cell service to spot. Because of the flies, I did not spend a long time on the bands. I made four contacts on 20m and three on 40m, then decided I had had enough. I threw everything back in the car, and got out of there. After a bumpy ride down, I made it to the pavement and back to civilization. 

Trailhead: End of 6N05. Multiple options if you want to hike up.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Drive up to the top!
Red Tape: None. 
Video: ham_bitious YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment