Wednesday, June 1, 2022

W6/CT-273 Agua Dulce Benchmark

 I had a Friday off, so that meant getting a new SOTA peak. I had this peak on my radar for a while, and decided to just go do it. Based on some other trip reports, I thought I could follow a dirt road up from near where Agua Dulce Canyon Road crosses CA 14. I parked in a large pullout, and headed down. 

Gate near the start of the route.

The road crosses a dry stream bed, then starts to climb. However, at the start of the climb was a locked gate with a clear "no trespassing" sign. Since there was an official looking truck parked in the pullout, I decided to use my second route. I went back to the car and drove a few miles down the road to a large pullout near a telephone pole.

Second trailhead. Not nearly as bad as Burn Benchmark.

I parked and took a look around. There were no fences or signs, so I started up the hill. I found a faint use path that went up to around the power lines, then ended. However, it was simple and steep to just follow the ridge up to the summit.

Summit area.

The left side of the ridge was very steep, almost a cliff, and the right side only a bit less so. It felt like a knifes edge at points, but was wide enough not to be scary. Eventually I made it up to the summit, probably sooner than I would have if I had started up near CA 14. The route was less than a mile.

San Gabriel mountains in the distance.

I used an old post to hold up my pole, and got on the air. I was close enough to the freeway to have good cell service and hear all the cars. Since it was Friday, there were a number of other operators out, and I got a bunch of summit to summit contacts. 

I took the same route down, double checking to make sure I took the correct ridge. It would've been a pain if I had to backtrack up one of the steep slopes.

Trailhead: Agua Dulce Canyon Road, about (34.43925, -118.3333)
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Follow the ridge to the summit.
Red Tape: None. 
Video: ham_bitious YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment