Monday, October 17, 2022

W6/CT-214 Calabasas Peak


 Back in Southern California for work, I decided to head to a new mountain range to get some peaks. This time I chose the Santa Monica Mountains, west of Los Angeles. Most of this area is in the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area, and counts for WWFF/POTA as well. My first summit was above the city of Calabasas and appropriately named Calabasas Peak.

Parking area on the side of Stunt Road.

I drove up Mulholland Highway, then turned onto Stunt Road. Google Maps has a point called "Calabasas Peak Trailhead", which is where I parked in a decent size pullout. There were some cars there already, and I passed a number of people on the trail. After crossing the road and going around a gate, the fire road begins a steady climb up to the summit. 
On the way up.

As you climb the views get better. Saddle Peak dominates the view to the south, but in the other directions there are great views of the mountain range. There was one intersection in a small col, but it was obvious which way to go. Around the high point of the road there is a use path that goes up to the high point. I went up to the very top and signed the log, then went down a little to a flat open area just below.
Summit. The log books were all full.

I had decent service on the summit. The trailhead did not have service. With my end fed in the air, I started calling CQ. 17m was open, and I got lots there. I also tried 20m and 40m, and made a few on those bands. I thought about trying VHF, but decided it would be better from the higher Saddle Peak.
Antenna in the brush. Looking north.

Having finished operating, I packed up and retraced my steps back to the car. It was a quick descent, with good footing on the road back down. Back at the car I drove up the hill to the Saddle Peak trailhead.

Trailhead: Calabasas Peak Trailhead, south of the peak on Stunt Road.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the fire road up to the top, then follow the use trail to the high point.
Red Tape: None. 
Video: ham_bitious YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment