Monday, October 24, 2022

W6/SC-285 Ladyface


 This peak is in the Santa Monica Mountains, just south of Agoura Hills. From 101, go south on Kanan Road to the bend, and park in the pullout. The unsigned trail goes up the hill here.

Parking area.

The trail to the top of Ladyface is steep and sandy. The start is fairly wide, but it quickly becomes single track around the first flat spot. 
Heading up.

As you climb, the views of the area get better. In mid-October, the mountains were simply beautiful in the afternoon. The climb is somewhat spoiled by the road just below the hill and all the loud cars and motorcycles going up and down. 
False summit.

It appears that the summit is a blocky area with a flag, however as you get close it is easy to see that this is not the high point. The trail stays on the south side of the hill to skirt around the cliffs and rocky outcroppings. The trail joins the ridge before it reaches the high point.
Setup on the top.

The actual high point is a bit cramped and rocky, so I went back down the ridge a short way to a flat section with some bushes. This was the perfect spot to put up my antenna, and I was quickly on the air. I had decent cell service on top, so no issues spotting. HF seemed good, with the usual crowd of chasers. 
Since it was already mid-afternoon, I didn't spend to long on top. I took the same route back down. I was surprised to pass some people heading up, I figured the area wouldn't be that popular. At the car I drove over to my next peak of the day, Peak 1470.

Trailhead: Kanan Road, about 1mi south of US101. Pullout is on the inside of the first big curve, before the road starts going uphill.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route:  Follow the trail to the summit. Steep and sandy in places, but it does go around all the scary looking rock outcrops
Red Tape: None. 
Video: ham_bitious YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment