Tuesday, October 31, 2023

W6/CT-151 Frankish Peak

 Frankish Peak is one of those peaks that doesn't look too bad on the map. Real life, however, is different. The trailhead for this peak is easily accessible, a large dirt pullout on N Mountain Ave. This is across the street from what appears to be a large dam. Probably to prevent floods when it rains and snows in the mountains. From here there is an unmaintained trail that heads up the hill.

Steep and dry.

The trail up to the ridge is steep. Very steep. Most of it is just regular steep hiking, but there were a few sections that were class 2 or even class 3. Not the most fun hike I've ever done, but I made it up.
Enjoying views of the San Gabriel Mountains.

The views do get better as you climb. There are a few short sections along jeep trails, but mostly it is narrow, overgrown single track. The final road section is just below the summit. On the summit ridge, the closer peak is a little lower, but the trail continues across to the high point. This is marked with a sign and a large open area covered in broken glass. I'd like to know how all that glass got up there.
QRV!

I did not have cell service on top, at least where I was sitting. I may have been able to find it by walking around, but RBNhole does a good job putting up spots, so I didn't try. I worked people on 20m, but surprisingly no one on 40m. On VHF I got a few people as I expected, looking down a such a large populated area.
The hike down was nearly as bad as the way up. Steep and loose in places. Badly defined trail. I nearly went down the wrong ridge, but caught myself before I got too far. That would've been bad, since hiking up in the dense chaparral would have been terrible. Back at the car I had a drink and headed across the mountains into the desert to my next goal, Fremont Peak.

Trailhead: Side of N Mountain Ave, across from the reservoir.
Website: SOTA Site.
Route: Take the extremely steep use trail up the ridge. Be careful, both of the steepness and of going the wrong way!
Red Tape: None, hike is in Angeles or San Bernardino NF.
Video: Coming Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment