Thursday, October 12, 2023

W7O/CN-050 Multorpor Mountain

 We were in Government Camp for a few days, so of course a SOTA peak or two needed to be done. We had done some hiking in the morning, so I picked an easy one for the afternoon. Multorpor Mountain is a relatively easy hike from Government Camp. 

From our room at the Huckleberry Inn, I walked down the road to the east end of town. It was a bit scary crossing the highway, but traffic was light enough I made it across with a little patience. Just east of the main road is a dirt road that heads into the forest. I didn't see any signs on the road, so I'm not sure if it has a name or number.

Along the jeep trail.

The road heads into the woods. After a turn or two there is an unmarked trail near the top of a hill. Pay attention, I nearly missed it. This trail heads up the mountain, somewhat steeply. It was a nice change from the dry, open forest I'm used to in California. All the rhododendron made me feel like I was back on the AT.

Damp trail heading up the hill.

At the summit it gets steeper as you scramble up the rock outcropping. I was surprised to have a decent view. The north side is dominated by Mt Hood, but to the south there is a nice one. I set up and sat looking south. I had cell service on the summit, and spotting was no problem. Since the weather was a bit iffy, a few showers rolled through while I was on the summit. 
Looking South.

After working the chasers, it started getting darker and cooler. I assumed some rain was coming in, so I packed up and started heading down. It didn't rain, but I was glad I didn't take the chance. 

Trailhead: Park somewhere in Government Camp.
Website: SOTA Site.
Route: From Government Camp, walk up the jeep trail to the single track.
Red Tape: You probably need a pass in the winter.
Video: Coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment