Tuesday, October 31, 2023

W6/ND-231 Fremont Peak

I had just climbed Frankish Peak, and the rental company had given me a Jeep, so I drove over to the desert to try it out on some dirt roads. My goal was Fremont Peak. This pointy mountain is easy to see as you drive 395, probably on your way to or from the Sierra. 

Looking up at the summit.

The peak is at the end of a long dirt road, aptly called Fremont Peak Road. The turnoff from 395 is not marked, so be careful not to miss it. The flat part of the road was in decent shape, and a sedan could likely drive a few miles in before the road got too rough. It was super easy in the jeep.

Looking at one of the many dry lake beds in the Mojave.

Eventually the road begins bearing right and going up the hill. It becomes much rougher here as well. I drove up, parked, and started to walk, then realized it wasn't so bad. So I got back in the car and drove up to the end of the road. There were some abandoned structures here, just below a col, and the path from here got much steeper. On a dirt bike you could get a lot farther up. Or maybe if you were a better off road driver than I am.
Summit area.

I followed the dirt bike trail up to its high point, about 200 feet below the summit. From here I just went straight up. It was steep and rocky, but I was able to easily find ways around any big rocks. No climbing required. The summit area is flat and open, and bigger than I expected. There was a small antenna and solar panel from some unknown organization, and a register. I signed it and put up my antenna. 
Enjoying desert views while I operate.

I had good cell service, so spotting wasn't a problem. Twenty meters was open to Europe. While I was on 40m, the UTC rollover happened, so I worked a bunch of chasers twice. Always nice to be able to give out extra points. I took the same route back down, more or less. I just picked what looked like the best way through the rocks until I got to the open desert slope below. From the path it was a quick jog back to the car. It seemed like a long drive back to 395, but I was just glad I didn't have to walk it.

Trailhead: As far up Fremont Peak Road as you can/will drive.
Website: SOTA Site.
Route: Follow the road/bike trail up as high as it goes, then go straight up to the summit.
Red Tape: None.
Video: Coming Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment