Saturday, October 28, 2023

W7I/SR-138

 This is a fairly easy peak near Mountain Home. From the freeway, drive north on US 20, uphill and into the foothills. A few miles up, turn left onto Anderson Dam Road. This road is paved. Drive down the road until you cross a cattle guard and the pavement ends. There is a large pullout here you can park in at the base of this mountain, on the dirt side of the road. 

Looking at the summit.

Since I didn't want to crawl under the barbed wire fence, I crossed the cattle grate and started up the hill. The route to the top was pretty easy to see, just follow the ridge up. There are some big embankments lower down, but they are easy to avoid. I wouldn't be surprised if people used this area for shooting.

Enjoying the beautiful day.

It was about a mile up to the summit, and it didn't take me too long. The first half is flatter, but much more brush to navigate around. After crossing what appears to be a power line access road, the steepness goes up. The views got better as I climbed which was nice, but the wind also picked up. It was, however, one of those beautiful fall days where everything is just perfect.

One of the embankments near the bottom.

On the summit there is the remnants of a fence. I used a conveniently located post to hold up my antenna pole, and was quickly on the air. I had good cell service for spotting, and the QSOs started rolling in. It was the Arizona 10 point madness day, but none of the AZ stations came to work me summit-to-summit. I was a little disappointed, but there were plenty of other S2S contacts.

One happy hiker.

Since I had to get back to Boise and the airport for my flight home, I couldn't spend too long on top. It was a pity, since it was so nice out. Oh well, there'll be nice days at home soon enough. I retraced my steps back to the car for the drive back to the capitol.

 

Trailhead: Where the pavement ends on Anderson Dam Road.
Website: SOTA Site.
Route: Cross the cattle guard to get around the fence, then follow the ridge up to the summit.
Red Tape: None.
Video: Coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment