Thursday, December 14, 2023

W7I/SI-177 Chinese Peak

 On the east side of Pocatello, a mountain with a flat top covered in towers looks over the city. This is Chinese Peak. The peak is on BLM land, and a nice hike. I drove to the end of Barton Road and parked. In the winter the road is gated next to a small lot. I'm told in the summer you can drive all the way up. 

Looking over at the Bannock Range across the freeway

To get to the top just follow the access road. It was obvious that lots of other people use this area for hiking and fun. The snow on the road was packed down, and there were even tire tracks that went all the way up. It is about three miles and 1700 vertical feet to the top from the parking lot. 
Out of the wind and snow making contacts.

The tire tracks ended just below the summit, so the last quarter mile was a bit harder. I walked around on top looking for somewhere where I wouldn't have to sit in too much snow to set up, then spied a utility box just below the summit. I walked over and set up on it. As a bonus it was out of the gentle breeze as well. 
As I started making contacts, everyone seemed very weak. I assumed it was because I was using the short whip, but realized that it was because the attenuator was turned on. It was much easier hearing people with it off.
Hazy in the early afternoon.

I didn't hang out on top too long, since I was getting cold. I took the same road back down. It appears there are some other trails in the BLM land, and you could approach from the north rather than the west. If you're looking for a longer or possibly more scenic hike, those trails could be a good option.


Trailhead: Parking lot at the Barton Road gate.
Website: SOTA Site.
Route: Walk up the road to the summit.
Red Tape: None.
Video: Coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment