Saturday, December 30, 2023

W7I/SI-193 Chester Hill

 Right after hiking and activating Rabbit Mountain I drove across Soda Springs to the end of North Main Street. There is a dirt lot at the very end of the street in which I parked. Next to the lot is a dirt recreation trail which travels around the base of the hill. Perfect for finding a good spot to head up. 

Looking back at the parking area.

I walked a short distance down the path before heading up the hill. There was a pullout in front of a fenced area, with open water behind the fence. Behind a concrete barrier with a "No Motorized Vehicles" sign was a use path heading up. I didn't see any tracks in the snow, but decided it was a good spot to head up.

Where I left the bike path and headed up the trail.

The trail climbed up, but never at an objectionable steepness. At a fence with an open gate another trail joined, and a single trail continued up the mountain. The trail first goes to a lower false summit with a big stone cairn on top. This seems to be where most people stop, since I didn't see a well worn trail after that.

Large cairn on the false summit. Some sort of power plant belching steam or smoke in the background.

From the cairn I dropped down a short distance to a wide, brush filled col. There were tracks across the brush, either from humans or animals. But either way, it made crossing pretty easy. On the other side I started climbing up to the summit. The top is covered in an open forest. I had no problem picking my way through the trees, and I think with some careful planning you could avoid the forest altogether. 

Going up through the woods.

There was enough of a clearing at the high point to put up an antenna, but I had passed a clearing with a view a few feet lower, so I backtracked a little before setting up. There was great cell service the entire hike. On the air I did only 20m again, since it was chilly. And like on Rabbit Mountain, there was a big pileup. 

Looking down at Soda Springs. (Or should we call it SOTA Springs?)

I took the same path back to the car. Not really any good options for a loop on this hill. From the base it was about an hour drive back to Pocatello and a warm shower.


Trailhead: Dirt lot at the end of North Main Street.
Website: SOTA Site.
Route: Take the bike path around to where you want to go up the hill, then follow one of the trails to the false summit. Cross the col, and head up through the woods to the high point.
Red Tape: Not signed anywhere.
Video: Coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment