Monday, December 4, 2023

W7I/SI-215 Howard Mountain

 West of Pocatello, at the north end of the Bannock Range, stands Howard Mountain. Many parts of town have a view of the summit and its many towers. It is a pleasant hike, and worth a walk up. I woke up on my first day in Pocatello and the temperature was a crisp 17 degrees Fahrenheit. I could see the summit across town from the hotel. After breakfast, and some time psyching myself up for the cold, I drove across town to the trailhead at the end of West Trail Creek Road. 

Peak on the right.

In the winter the road is gated about a mile below the saddle. There was plenty of space to park, despite the "No Parking" signs. It was cold, as I knew it would be. I was layered up, and wasted no time in heading up the trail. The first mile to the saddle is on a dirt road, and is obviously a popular spot for cross country skiing. There were a lot of tracks. In the summer you can drive up this part for an even shorter hike.
Looking back along the road.

At the col the nice, beaten down path ended as I made a right turn towards the summit. The snow wasn't deep, but it was much slower going as I had to make my own path. I thought about going straight up the hill to the high point, but decided it would be easier to take the graded road up. This worked out well until I got to the ridge, where the snow was thigh deep in places. Post-holing is not easy.
Making QSOs on the summit.

Eventually I got to the high point, which has a tower. I found a nice rock I could stand in front of and put up the wire. Having a KH1 would've made setup so much easier. It was much warmer on top than I was expecting. As the guy wires and tower warmed up in the morning sun, snow and ice would fall off making a racket. On the bands I had no trouble getting contacts. Since it was so warm, I chased a few summit to summit contacts before packing up. 
Views of Pocatello.

Since going down is easier, I just went straight down to the road. This was steeper and slipperier than I thought it would be, but I made it to the road without falling. From there it was an easy walk back to the saddle and down to the car. 


Trailhead: As far up West Trail Creek Road as you want to or can drive.
Website: SOTA Site.
Route: Walk up the road to the saddle, then turn right and follow the access road to the summit.
Red Tape: None.
Video: Coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment