Saturday, December 30, 2023

W7I/SI-185 Rabbit Mountain

 There are two SOTA peaks on either side of Soda Springs Idaho. This peak and Chester Hill. I drove out to these peaks for a double activation. First up was Rabbit Mountain. Following the advice of Bill N0DNF, I parked at the baseball fields in Kelly Park. At least I assume they were baseball fields, everything was covered in snow. Across the street I found a cross country trail, and started heading up. 

One of the signs. Skiing, disc golf, there was a lot going on there.

There is a small ridge that all the trails go around, to the right. I followed them around, then climbed up to the large water tank. The groomed and used section of ski trail seemed to end at the tank. After looking around a bit, I decided it would be easiest to just go straight up the hill, and that is what I did.

View from near the water tank.

The first part was through waist high grass. Where the hill got steeper, the grass ended and it was thigh high brush. Not hard to get through in the winter, but might be more of a challenge in the summer. The views did get better as I climbed towards a small wood at the top. It turns out the summit is through the woods and higher, but as you go up you can't see that.

View from the top. Low clouds the day I was there.

I was able to get through the woods without much trouble. There were a lot of deer tracks and other signs, so I just followed those where I could. Animals usually are good at finding the easiest way through. On the other side I found a road, and followed it to the towers.

I used one of the fences to hold up my pole, and got on the air. Since I didn't want to sit in the snow, I just kneeled in it. Not sure I stayed any warmer. With a big wire in the air I had a bigger pileup on 20m than I wanted, but I stayed long enough to work everyone. 

I retraced my steps back down the hill, more or less. In some places I thought I could find a shorter way down, but I don't think I saved any time. Back at the car I drove the five minutes across town to the trailhead for Chester Hill.

Trailhead: Baseball fields in Kelly Park. Near the end of Kelly Park Road.
Website: SOTA Site.
Route: Follow the cross country ski trails around the low ridge and up to the water tank. Then either go straight up the hill or follow old roads to the top.
Red Tape: Not signed anywhere.
Video: Coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment