Monday, July 2, 2018

W6/CC-051 North Peak

It had been a few years since I had gone up Mt Diablo, so I decided to go again. I wanted a longer hike, so I chose to start at the Mitchell Canyon trailhead. My goal was to activate North Peak, Mt Diablo, and Black Point in one big loop.
Starting up a trail.
The website said that park opened at 8, so I was there exactly then. However, there were already a dozen cars in the lot. It would have been nice to get an earlier start, to avoid some of the heat. To get up to North Peak, I took the Mitchell Rock and Eagle Peak Trails, then the Bald Ridge Trail and North Peak Road. This might not have been the most direct route, but I enjoyed my ascent. Most of the switchbacks up to the Eagle Peak ridge were in the shade, making for a pleasant ascent.
Lots of markers along the trail.
I made good time, and was soon on top of Eagle Peak. I tried to sign the log, but it was completely full. The descent and ascent to the col was quick. To get to the North Peak/Diablo col I too the Bald Ridge Trail. This trail is very narrow, and is in danger of being overgrown with poison oak. I think I managed to avoid touching it on my way. At the col I rejoined the service road, and took it up to the summit.
No upside-down bicycles.
The final climb up to the summit is very steep, but the footing is decent. The best place I saw to set up was on a small knob to the north of the high point. As far as I can tell, the col separating it from the summit is high enough that the whole area is part of the activation zone. I strapped my pole to a dead tree and strung out my trapped EFHW. To make everything a little more exciting, I sat in the shade next to a small cliff.
Operating position, on an anthill.
After a call on 30 meters I got a big pileup. After I had worked a few people, I noticed a lot of ants crawling on me. This made it more fun, working the pileup while slapping ants. After finishing on 30 I worked a few more people on 20 and 40. Surprisingly, there were no recorded contacts on 440, so I fixed that, making one on that band, and three on 2m. There is a lot of RF on the summit, and it was too much for my HT most of the time. It is an excellent VHF location, but not with my radio.
Looking over to Mt Diablo, the next stop.
Since I had two more summits planned for the day, I didn't linger on top. After packing up, I headed for the summit of Mt Diablo.


Trailhead: Mitchell Canyon
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Red Tape: None.
On the way up.
Trailhead: Mitchell Canyon Visitors Center
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Many routes, but I like going over Eagle Peak. For a shorter hike, drive up to the Devil's Pulpit trailhead below the summit of Diablo, and then hike over.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment