Tuesday, July 10, 2018

W6/NS-347 Quiggs Mountain

Quiggs Mountain is a drive up summit in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada, near the town of Mountain Ranch. I was coming from CA 88, so I put on the GPS and blindly followed it. The route it took me was down some very narrow roads, both paved and dirt. I was a bit concerned that I would have to turn around, but the dirt roads were well graded.
View of the summit.
There was obviously a fire here a few years ago, but I couldn't tell if any of the ranches had burned. Eventually I got as close as I could to the summit, just below it. The road to the top is fenced off and signed, but there is a large pullout just before the fence. I set up here. It was much hotter and sunnier than it had been in the mountains the previous days, so I didn't linger. I was expecting a large pileup since it was Saturday morning, but I didn't get one.
Setup next to the road.
After I worked all the chasers I packed up and drove home. This time the GPS took me through Mountain Ranch, and the road down to it was much better than the way I went up. This is the route I would recommend. Since there are so many towers on top, it is probably possible to get permission to go up to the summit, but I didn't try.

Trailhead: Intersection of W Murray Creek and Sierra Vista Lookout Roads.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Walk up the road to the top.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment